Shape: round, projected, even, close set, on the narrow end of average root width.
Additional relevant shape note for this review: self-supporting
Strictly speaking, this bra doesn't fit, but I know that there can be trade-offs with wireless bras. I tried this first in a 30E, my usual size, and I literally fell out of the cups when I scooped and swooped, so I sized up to the 30F.
- I'd heard that Fortnight's wireless bras were accepting of projected shapes, but apparently not as projected as I am. The "gore" (well, center of the plunge) doesn't tack, and that's not a huge surprise. It does, however, smush me down ... a bit. Head-on, the smushing doesn't look too bad, and it's really only noticeable staring directly down into my chest, but it's not ideal.
- This bra really wants either more separate or splayed breasts with considerably less center fullness than I have. Despite the plunge design, the cups want your tissue away from the center and out to the sides. The cup is definitely too wide, but it's functionally a non-issue thanks to the lack of an underwire.
- So comfy! This is my first wireless bra, and wow. It's night and day compared to stiff underwires (of course, the trade-off is in fit and shape). That said, this bra reigns me in just enough that I don't feel uncomfortable moving around quickly or going up/down stairs.
- The workmanship is excellent, I cannot stress this enough. I had a bad experience with another indie brand, shoddy QC with things mis-stitched, threads coming undone, on more than one brand-new bra, but Fortnight is on point - there is not a single error in this piece. I would say this is absolutely worth the price I paid for it (a "treat yo self"-level splurge). If you can pick this up for anything less than retail you are getting a deal.
- The materials are GORGEOUS. The stretch lace cups have a beautiful, modern pattern and are surprisingly soft. The sapphire fabric of the band has a rich, satiny sheen and is quite comfortable.
- The band is firm and true to size on the loosest hooks, with heavy duty construction on the hook & eye closures in the back. Unlike some longlines, it doesn't ride up as it wears, staying firmly in place. Also, front strap adjusters!! Why doesn't every bra have front adjusters, goodness gracious it makes fitting so much easier.
The takeaway: wireless bras are a tough fit, but this isn't such a disaster that I'm sending it back. It looks beautiful, elegant, and it's SO comfortable. This is a treat yo' self win.
Sizing note for the matching, high waist panties: I'm ~28"/38" waist/hips, and the Medium fit with just a bit of extra stretch in the waist. I'd say their panties run a touch small as my best fit is typically a UK 10 or US 6/Small, so consider that when ordering.
384 more words
Updated on Sep 07, 2016 Flag this